In total, I visited 5 cities during the trip. The journey are possible thanks to Japan for having the bullet train ( Shinkansen) that have make our city to city travelling time very short and also very comfortable.
Below are the details of my itinerary inclusive some suggestion or additional tourist spots that you could consider to visit if you have more time.
Flight Kuala Lumpur (KLIA2) @2.40pm- Haneda, Tokyo @10.30pm Arrive at Hotel @12.30am Dinner Rest @2am
Day 2 1. Breakfast at the hotel @9am 2. Tokyo Station – Exchanging Jr Pass @10am 3. Asakusa: visiting Sensoji Temple, Tokyo Sky Tree, sightseeing of old Tokyo @11.30am Tokyo station – Ueno station (JR line) – Asakusa Station . From Sensoji Temple walking distance to Tokyo Sky Tree 4. Ueno Park : One of the largest park in Tokyo, beautiful lake, baseball field @2pm Asakusa Station – Ueno Station 5. Akihabara : Lunch , Electronic Distric, Mangga Shop, Maid Cafe, AKB48, Gundam cafe @3.30pm Walking from Ueno station 6. Tokyo Imperial Palace: Park , Palace @ 5.30pm Akihabara station – Tokyo Station then walk to the Imperial Palace 7. Odaiba : Real Size Gundam, Shopping Mall, firstname.lastname@example.org Tokyo Station – Daiba station 8. Back to hotel and rest @10.30pm Day 3 1. Breakfast at the hotel @9am 2. Meiji Shrine : Shinto shrine, Yoyogi park, Japanese Wedding – if lucky @10.30am Tokyo Station – Harajuku Station 3. Harajuku : Harajuku Fashion, Crepe stall, Cosplayers on Sunday, Lunch @ 2pm 4. Shinjuku : Shinjuku Gyion (Park), Shopping, Coffee shop @4pm Harajuku Station – Shinjuku Station (JR line) 5. Shibuya : Shibuya crossing, Hachiko statue, mall, shopping, Sushi Genko restaurant @6pm Shinjuku Station – Shibuya Station (JR Line) 6. Tokyo tower @8pm Shibuya station – Yoyogi station (JR line) – Akabanebashi Station (Oedo line) 7. Back to hotel and rest @10.30pm
* Recommended alternative destination could be Nikko or Shirakawa village. Otherwise you may add extra day and stay longer in Tokyo or Osaka
1. Travel to Kyoto: Yamagata Station – Osaka Shin Station via Shinkansen – Breakfast on train @7am
2. Luggage drop at Osaka station locker, Lunch @12pm
3. Osaka Fortress : Osaka Castle, Samurai Museum, Plam Grove @3pm
4. Dotonburi : Night market, Street food, Shopping, Dinner @6pm
5. Travel to Kyoto: Osaka station – Kyoto station via JR line 1 hour trip @11pm If you have more time, there are many other tourism spot you could visit in Osaka such as Sumiyoshi (Grand Shirne) and Umeda Sky Building (Observation deck)
1. Hotel check in, Public Hot Bath at the hotel and then sleep @12.30am
2. Tenryu-ji : Temple of the Sky Dragon, Unesco World Heritage Site, Souvenir shopping @11am
3. Arashiyama: Bamboo Forest @1pm
4. Adashino Nenbustu-ji: 8000 Buddha statue with different faces @2pm
5. Gion district: Geisha / Meiko, restaurant, souvenir shopping, mall, dinner @5pm
7. Back to hotel- Public Hot Bath and then sleep @8pm
1. Breakfast a hotel @8am
2. Nijo Castle @10am
3. Fushimi-inari Shrine: Thousand gates shrine, souvenir shopping, Lunch@12pm
4. Kiyomizu-dera : 8th Century Temple, souvenir shopping 3pm
5. Gion district: Geisha / Meiko, restaurant, souvenir shopping, mall dinner @5pm
6. Back to hotel- Public Hot Bath at the hotel and then sleep 8pm
If you have more time you could add Ginkaku-ji (Silver Pavillion +Garden) and Kinkakuji (Golden Pavillion) on your itinerary. In Kyoto, it is more convenient to travel via bus rather than train because. Even though it took longer travel time but they have bus stop in every corner of the city (most of them very near with the tourism spots) and you can hop on to the bus unlimited time with the daily pass that cost only 500 yen.
2. Mount Fuji sightseeing bus (Hakone Pass) , Lake Asahi @11am
3. Odawara Castle, Dinner, Shopping @4pm
4. Travel to Airport: Odawara station – Shinagawa Station – Haneda Station (Airport) @7pm
5. Travel back to Malaysia: Haneda Airport – Kuala Lumpur (KLIA2) @11.50pm
This itinerary is quite pack and might be not suitable if you travel with children or elderly. However, it is useful for those who are first time visiting Japan to briefly see the country and experience different type of culture at different places/cities. Later on, if you have the chance to be back to Japan, you will know which city you prefer to stay longer at and can plan for more memorable visit.
For the budget needed on this trip, you may check my other post : One Week Japan trip Budget